Monday, January 2, 2017

3 Degrees of Separation

Supposedly there are SIX degrees of separation between any 2 humans. This is to say that person A knows someone who knows person B, who knows someone who knows person C, who knows someone who knows person D, who knows someone who knows person E, who knows someone who knows person F. However, as a Global Nomad who has lived and in 14 countries and taught on 4 continents, and who has traveled to more than 40 countries, and who, as a CouchSurfer, has hosted over 200 guests, I would imagine that I'm probably separated by just 3 degrees. I can't prove this, of course, but when I click on random CouchSurfers' profiles, I often find we have a mutual friend (by the way, the CS website USED TO show how you were connected to anyone else on the site by drawing arrows from one person to another until you were connected. Too bad their site now sucks!!) And I sometimes try to play the game of trying to find a mutual acquaintance with people I've met and, though I've never done a hard study of it, we usually can find some commonality.

I imagine this is the case for other Global Nomads (who have grown up traveling), nomadic travelers, Worldschoolers, CouchSurfers and other international people, so I'm not an exception. In fact, with more and more people traveling, we are becoming even more connected. So, how are YOU & I connected?!


No comments:

Post a Comment